Library Locker Policy
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Lockers are available to any commuter or graduate student.
WHAT CAN BE STORED IN LOCKERS?
- Regular circulating items currently checked out to the student.
- InterLibrary Loan materials currently checked out to the student.
- Personal books, stationery, and research material, etc.
- Food and drink in sealed containers.
WHAT CANNOT BE STORED IN LOCKERS?
- Library material not checked out to the student.
- Food or drink not in sealed containers.
- Items with a noticeable aroma.
- Illegal or dangerous substances.
GETTING A LOCKER
- Currently enrolled students may apply online for a locker.
- An email will be sent to the student’s AU email address when a locker has been assigned.
- Lockers are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Lockers are checked out for an entire semester, Fall, Spring or Summer. Students may elect to check in a locker before the end of the semester.
- Lockers are checked out to the student’s library account for a semester.
- The Library will make every effort to accommodate ADA requests.
- The Library reserves the right to re-assign lockers to accommodate ADA requests.
- The Access Services Department will maintain a waiting list for lockers if demand exceeds supply.
RULES & REGS
- A $10 cash returnable deposit is required.
- Cash will be collected when the key is picked up.
- One locker per student. Lockers may not be shared. The student assigned to a locker is responsible for its content.
- Students are not permitted to affix anything to the interior or exterior of their lockers.
- Padlocks or personal locks of any type are not permitted on lockers. Staff will remove any such locks.
- Store items in lockers at your own risk. The Library is not responsible for items stored in lockers.
- Lockers are not to be used to store any unchecked library materials, perishable items, or illegal/hazardous substances.
RENEWAL OR RETURN
- Lockers must be renewed online or in person at the end of each semester.
- Librarians will use discretion, including availability and reserve requests, in deciding whether to renew the locker.
- All items must be removed from the locker prior to returning the key.
- Locker keys must be returned or renewed within one week of the final day of a semester or summer term. The $10 deposit will be forfeited if the key is not returned by the agreed date.
- Library staff reserve the right to open, inspect, or empty any locker with cause for concern, including smell, pest/animal mess, or escaping liquid.
- Library staff reserve the right to open, inspect, or empty any locker after the expiration of the locker checkout agreement date, for which the key has not been returned or renewed.
- Broken lockers will not be assigned.
- If a locker becomes broken while it is assigned, the student assigned to that locker will be put on the waiting list for the next available locker.
[Enacted Feb 11, 2022]